SCENE SEQUENCING CHART FOR
DRAGON'S LAIR ENHANCEMENT ROM SET VERSION 2.x

 

The game begins with the drawbridge scene.  If you die, you will immediately try the scene again.  If you die a 2nd time, you will advance into the crumbling Vestibule.  If you ever die in the Vestibule, it will be permanently skipped.
In castle sections 1 & 2, scenes appear randomly. They are selected using the established method of picking them from among groups of 3. After the drawbridge, a scene in row #2 (Breathing Door, Tentacles, or "Drink Me") is randomly selected. Afterward, the next scene is chosen from row #3, and then from row #4. After row #4, the game returns back to row #2, where one of the two remaining unplayed scenes is randomly chosen, and the process repeats until all nine scenes in section 1 have been played.
Pay As You Go interruption point
When the PAYG option for 2 interruptions per game is enabled, this is the 1st point at which coin(s) are required to continue play.
The same scene selection process for castle section 1 applies to section 2; however, after a scene is chosen, then if it is reversible, another independent 50/50 random selection is made to determine whether the scene will play normally or reversed. If you complete the scene successfully, the other orientation of it will never appear later during the same game.
Pay As You Go interruption point
When the PAYG option for 2 interruptions per game is enabled, this is the 2nd point at which coin(s) are required to continue play. When PAYG is set for 1 interruption per game, then this is the one and only PAYG point.

 

If you die on the falling platform, you will immediately try the scene again. If you die a 2nd time, you will automatically advance to caverns adventure #3 below.
 

 


 

There are 3 different arrangements of the caverns adventure.  There is no random scene selection in this section.  Only one of these columns of scenes will be played in one game, in order from top to bottom.  The reason for this is that certain scenes were apparently designed to appear together.  In each colored arrangement, a few scenes are always kept together.  The cave/geyser scene is always followed by the mudmen.  The boulder trench is always followed by the underground river.  The giant bat is always followed by the catwalk.

 

 

 

 

 

At this point, if you've died on any scenes in the caverns, they will appear once more. If you die on any scene a second time, it will be permanently skipped.
 
Pay As You Go interruption point
When the PAYG option for 2 interruptions per game is enabled, this is the point where more coin(s) may be added to continue playing a new game from the beginning.
A. The Drawbridge
1.

 

B. Castle Section 1
All of the small, short, easy, one-roomed scenes are played first.

2.  
3.  
4.  

C. Castle Section 2
The longer, harder, and reversible
scenes are played next.

5.  
6.  
7.  

D. The Elevator Floor
The falling platform delivers Dirk to the mysterious caverns below the castle.

E. The Caverns Adventure
This section contains all of the
cavernous themed scenes.
 

Adventure
#1
Adventure
#2
Adventure
#3

F. The Dragon's Lair

When playing the game in prototype mode, your choice of how to exit the crumbling Vestibule will determine which scene is played first in row #2.
 
 
The scenes outlined in red have a 50% chance of being selected first. The green scenes have a 37.5% chance of being first. And the blue scenes, at 12.5%, have the highest chance of appearing last.
 


 

At this point, if you've died on any scenes in section 1, they will appear once more, in the same order you encountered them the first time. If you die on any scene a second time, it will be permanently skipped, and the game will continue.

 
The arrangement of scenes in sections 1 & 2 was made as logical as possible with regard to how Dirk enters and exits each room, while also trying to prevent scenes that play the same trumpet fanfares from following each other. (It's really annoying when that happens.)
At this point, if you've died on any scenes in section 2, they will appear once more. If you die on any scene a second time, it will be permanently skipped. The reversible scenes may still possibly be reversed from the first time you encountered them.
There are 9 opportunities to jump off of the falling platform. The one you choose determines how the scenes in the caverns adventure will be arranged. If you choose the 1st, 4th, or 7th jump, your caverns adventure will be #1 below. The 2nd, 5th & 8th jumps lead to caverns adventure #2. The 3rd, 6th & 9th jumps lead to caverns adventure #3.
 

 

 

 

 

 

The prototype scenes in this section have numerous possible conclusions to them. However, with the scene arrangements based on the falling platform jump point, and with only eight scenes in this section, it unfortunately just wasn't feasible at this time to be able to allow the player to choose which scene will appear next based on the path taken at each prototype branch point. With six distinct branches, the mathematics of doing so aren't very agreeable, but future thought and development on the concept will be pondered.
 



 

 


 

If you die in the lair, it will repeat again until it is completed, or until the game is over.


To answer an anticipated question:

Yes, according to the diagram, the Mist Room with snakes is never followed by the Giddy Goons.  This is because the Mist Room's rope does not lead to the Spiral Staircase's trap door. That was the one instance of scene alignment that the Cinematronics programmers actually seem to have attempted, and they got it wrong. Directly underneath the trap door is the spiral staircase.  Dirk walks up the stairs through the trap door... he doesn't climb up a rope.  So the scenes have been separated.

 


QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? PROBLEMS?
Contact Us

HOME | LASER GAMES | LASER COMMUNITY | TECH CENTER

This website was created by Jeff Kinder & Dave Hallock, 1997 - 2019.
All trademarks and copyrighted materials are property of their respective owners.