ROM SET VERSION 1.0 - April 9, 2002
Created by Dave Hallock
Technical assistance by Jeff Kulczycki
This ROM set has been created to enhance the gameplay of Cinematronics' 1983 arcade version of Space Ace. Logical reconstruction to game organization and presentation has been implemented, and the result is what is believed to be the first and only Space Ace game program that plays the game the way it was intended to be played while it was being designed/animated (on cadet skill level).
SAE is a 5 EPROM set that works with any working Cinematronics Space Ace game using any laserdisc player. The creation of different SAE ROM sets optimized for different laserdisc players was not necessary. Space Ace uses type 2764 EPROMs or compatible.
SAE contains these new DIP switch selectable features:
The new DIP switch settings chart is part of the readme.txt file found in the download.
- skill level selection (to benefit users without control panel skill level buttons)
- 1 coin per credit option
- a new game difficulty option
- All animation recorded on the laserdisc is now used by the game program.
- Smoother video transitions exist everywhere that a disc player search is executed.
- All quirks, bugs, and discontinuities characteristic of Space Ace have been eliminated. This was accomplished by deleting ALL of the original game data. SAE gameplay has been written entirely from scratch. Absolutely no part of the original Space Ace game data exists in SAE.
- The SAE skill levels add a new dimension! Each skill level presents a uniquely distinct way to play Space Ace.
- Gameplay decisions determine which scenes are played, and which scenes are left out of the game.
- Scenes are presented once per game, with the orientation randomly selected. A game of SAE will never require you to play both a scene and the reverse of that same scene during the same game, either in whole or in part.
- SAE has a new and structured scoring scheme, with detailed score chart.
- All score values for shooting enemies are added into the score display at the exact moment that the target explodes!
- Detailed on-screen coinage instructions eliminate novice confusion.
- Remapped DIP switch settings.
- Much more!
These ROMs contain radical functional changes that require the instructions in the readme.txt file found in the download.
This complete text file, or a printout of it, MUST accompany all distribution of SAE.
DOWNLOAD SAE_10.zip NOW! (27KB)
To obtain an official SAE
EPROM set for your arcade game, with the best possible technical support,
warranty, documentation, and ease with any future updating, email
USER FEEDBACK - comments from the D-L-P message board
- I just tried the new SAE roms. Awesome! It's like playing the game for the first time. It's also an amazingly creative and well crafted use of the animated footage. It is sooooo much better than the way the game was originally programmed. I will probably never go back to the original roms again. - "etumor" 4/22/02
- All I can say is when I play the normal one, there was a ton that bugged me (scenes that should be skipped, should be added, etc) timing that was off, etc. You must be a mindreader as you nailed them all! :)
Plus added a whole new realm of variety! :)
It is like playing it all over again which rules!
AWESOME JOB!!!!! :))))))))) - "BuzzkillQ" 4/23/02
- Well Dave, they are FAR BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS!!!
This is Really Great Game!!! Much Better than the 1983 or 1991 Versions!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
You Enhanced Dragon's Lair with your DLE 1.1 EPROMs. But with the SAE EPROMs, Enhancment dosen't come close to what you did for this game. You didn't just Enhance it, you made it play the Best it has ever, and I do mean EVER did. - T.M.V. 4/25/02
- SAE is priceless. I love it. This is the way this game was meant to be played and I'm never going back. Thanks so much. Dr. J - "Dr. J" 5/15/02
| LASER GAMES |
| TECH CENTER
This website was created by
& Dave Hallock, 1997 - 2014.
All trademarks and copyrighted materials are property of their respective